(Taken at the graduation party at our house in May – just me, giving the look)
Alas, months after my birthday, I have finally compiled a small list of things I want to experience before turning 30. The more things change in my life, the more excited I become for newness. When things are naturally shaken up, it inspires and challenges me to reevaluate my life and find energy in new places and goals. I believe life ebbs and flows like the tides. Sometimes, there is too much comfort, too much sameness. I feel a voice in my head telling me to be daring, be motivated, dream, let your mind wander. Maybe it’s Kathy, urging me to step outside my zone, put my mind to work again. But I feel free and fresh. This list reflects those small (and some big) moments I look forward to in the years to come.
Pictures accompany this list, pictures of some of my favorite moments over the last few years. Because even when things change, you bring all of the good from the past with you. I never thought I’d be one to wax philosophical, but I’m feeling enlightened and writing the words almost eases the pressure of that.
30 by 30
Create a workspace at home, find the perfect desk.
- Take annual hourly photo shoots on my birthday each year.
Find a puppy soul mate. Go back to Hawaii.
- Become proficient at Adobe Photoshop.
- Ride a motorcycle.
- Cook as many recipes from my lovely cookbooks, and challenge myself to try new recipes I normally pass by.
- Road-trip to Arizona with Bryan.
- Garden every year, hopefully yielding more and more each time.
- Health for myself.
- Transition to completely all-natural skin care.
- Rent a house on the Oregon Coast.
- Spend Christmas somewhere warm.
- Finish Bloomsday.
See “Wicked”. Marry Bryan William Gill.
- Visit Palouse Falls.
- Get a
Boys Cluband an elephant tattoo.
- Become a regular blogger.
Travel to Paris. (I settled for China)
- Begin developing my book of essays.
- Spend as much time with Grandpa Dick as possible.
- Bake bread.
Learn to whistle. Apply to Professional Development Courses as often as possible. Go to a Green Bay Packers game.
- See a favorite musician live (it’s been a while since I’ve done this, so I’m creating an incentive to get to more shows).
Move to a new town.
- Learn to drive stick shift.(Me and my sista-from-anotha-mista at my graduation)(The best pictures of as much of the group as possible during the graduation party in May)(Emily and I at the Gorge during Sasquatch)(Lindsey’s wedding!)
I think about all of the things that scared me when I was 18 – moving away from home, finishing college, finding a job. I am unafraid, which puts me one step ahead of my former self. So much good to live up to, so much good to come. Stay tuned, I’ll be documenting my progress of this manifest on JadedLovely.